Pauley P Dot Com

Saturday, November 12, 2005

JUST TO CLARIFY/religion and faith

I have written about this several
times before, but just because I hate
feeing misunderstood, I am going to
quote an old piece of my writing, some of
you may have read before, and then
try to explain something important to me:

"I believe in faith, not religion.
A very smart person once said to me,
'Religion is a series of learned, practiced behavior,
like if you take a Vitamin C every day,
that is religious behavior.'
Which is very different than faith.
Faith is an indescribable belief in something,
whether it is practiced by method in any way.
Those who proclaim themselves "religious leaders",
and make up human rule books to enforce their mortal
ideals about 'what God thinks' on others are equally
as human and mortal, not divine and immortal as their followers.
And to me, are on some strange power trip.
Especially the ones who wear costumes.
Robes and head ornaments and such.
To clothe themselves as "closer to The Almighty" than the mere
"believers" in their flock dressed in plain clothes.
To identify their divinity?
That they are, in fact 'holier than thou'?
What?
They are costumes.
Does God really care about that?
In my opinion, they are no more superior
than those who MUST wear Prada shoes,
or more magical than those who dress up as fairies on Halloween."
- from "Playing God"/pp - Jan. 2003

I can not stand the hierarchy and judgement
that religions have within them and between each other.
I have been inspired and learned from all kinds of
ideologies, world faiths and literature.
I don't want to be a part of a group.
It distorts the vertical for me.
I believe that God Is Love,
and it seems that many world faiths are telling
the same story in different languages.
Love, grace, peace, humility, generosity, mercy, honesty, kindness...
These are the things that should be strived for,
not religious superiority.

(And Aamnat, there was no need to justify,
peace to you!.)